To get the most out of your Facebook Ads you will need to install the Facebook Pixel on your webpage.
So first of all what is the Facebook Pixel?
The pixel helps you track important events that happens on your site. For example standard events such:
- View Content
- Add to Cart
- Add to Wishlist
- Initiate Checkout
- Add Payment Info
- Complete Registration
The pixel keeps track on all events that occur on your site - even those that not are being attributed to Facebook. You could compare the pixel to a doorbell in a store that rings every time someone enters. In the Business Managers interface you can easily see which events are attributed to your Facebook Ads.
The pixel provides you with valuable data for your Facebook advertising. By using the pixel you can gather information about your visitors and customers and help Facebook better understand who to show your ads to. For example you can create custom audiences and build lookalike audiences based on your pixel data. The pixel also tracks data cross devices; mobile, desktop and tablet.
So why should you implement the Facebook Pixel on your site?
It makes your marketing initiatives on Facebook much easier to track. To track conversions that came from your ads. Be able to get the most out of your ads by being able to optimize and use re-targeting in your marketing initiative.
It allows you to re-target people who has visited your site, made a purchase or added to cart. From this data you can also create lookalike audiences. Which means that Facebook will find people similar to those who has already visited your page or made a purchase. Read more about lookalike audiences here.
- Re-target visitors and customers
- Find customers similar to already existing customers by creating a lookalike audience.
- Not to limit yourself from the potentials of Facebook.
- Use the power of Dynamic Ads
As an e-commerce not to have a pixel implemented is pure madness. Since the pixel gathers data on your customers, you can by using a product feed and dynamic ads, show them the most relevant items.
How to implement your new pixel?
Before you get started: Make sure that you have a website ready to go and the rights to update your websites code. Otherwise it will be hard for you to implement the pixel :)
1. Go to your Business Manager and then go to the Pixel tab under Measure & report.
2. You will see a green button - click it and start your pixel implementation.
3. You will get three options - Use an integration or tag manager learn more about this here.
Example of integration or tag managers: BigCommerce, Google Tag Manager, Magento, Segment, Shopify, Squarespace, Wix, WooCommerce and many more.
If you are not that techsavy you can by choosing the third alternative provide your developer with the information on how to do this. You will find more on how to implement the pixel here.
Are your pixel's doing their job?
Are you unsure if you already have a pixel on your account or worried you haven't installed them right? To find this out you can quickly install the Facebook Pixel Helper ( you will need to have the Chrome browser) by go to the Chrome web store and type in Facebook Pixel Helper. Add this stick in to Chrome and click add extension, you will get a notification that you have successfully added the Pixel Helper. It will show up as a small icon in the address bar.
1. Go to the site you want to investigate the pixel on.
2. Simply click on you pixel helper in the address bar and a drop down window will appear looking as the image below. You can see the pixel's available. If everything looks alright, you can start or keep on creating ads. You will only see the pixel's available on that certain page you are visiting. Read more about this here.
Just one more thing......
Please be aware that when you first install the pixel you will not have enough data for Facebook to optimize at a stable level at first. You will have to let the pixel get to know your account before you can utilize the powers from it properly.